The history of the Upper Castle

The evidence to date first written mention of the name Greiz appears in a document dating from 1209, in which the lords of Greiz are listed. It is expected that the Greizer castle was built much earlier. Evidence of this is the part of the ongoing restoration work rediscovered double chapel and dendrochronological dating of 1188. Because of this  extremely important result , the role of the Greizer castle in the 12th Century appears in a new light. In Thuringia, there are only two other double chapels.
The double chapel precedes localization of the baroque castle church in the medieval great hall, which is connected by a staircase to the royal box. Most areas of the Upper Castle have valuable stucco work.

For centuries, the Upper Castle was the seat of rules.
Because of that, various phases of domination and  construction of the residential architecture are experienced.


The Upper Castle reveals architectural grades from the Romanesque to Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque to the Rococo.
To 1809  the Upper Castle was , except for a short break, always the residence of the lords, earls and the first prince Heinrich XI. Reuss older line, which the government could unite again in 1768.  Heinrich XIII.  Reuss older line chose his residence in the Lower Castle. From then until 11 November 1918 the Upper castle was seat of the princely state government and the Princely consistory.

Seitenanfang