Greizer Chronicle

1209

Greiz as "Groytz" mentioned for the first time in a deed of gift of the Vogts of Weida to the Mildenfurth Monastery 

1225

Castle Groitz and city church mentioned

1306

Vogt Henry II. Reuß of Plauen founds the Line Reuß-Greiz, Greiz becomes the ruling seat of the Reußen

1359

Greiz first mentioned as Stadt (chartered city)

1449

Castle und city divided into Front Palace and Rear Palace; later Upper and Lower Greiz

1494

Large city fire (51 Houses destroyed)

1527

Oldest known City privilege for Greiz granted by Henry XIII.  of Reuß  

1564

Division of Greizer territory under the rule of Upper and Lower Greiz (until 1616 and again 1625 to 1768) 

1660

Economic development through cloth and tool making, black and glossy dyeing

1673

Elevation of all lines of the House of  Reuß into an hereditary Imperial Earldom

1768

Unification of the Rulers of Upper and Lower Greiz into the Earldom of Reuß, Elder Line

1769/79

Construction of the Sommer Palais in the princely park under the  rule of Henry XI. of Reuß, Elder Line

1778

Elevation of the Greizer Earldom into an hereditary Imperial Principality.  Greiz becomes the Administrative and Residence city of the Principality of Reuß, Elder Line

1802

Largest city fire in Greiz’s history, also destroying every public building; The Lower Palace was rebuilt by 1809

1865

Railroad connection Greiz-Aubachtal-Brunn, later to Neumark

1872

Beginning of the artistic redesigning of the park landscap by Petzold/Reinecken to a landscape garden in the English style, under Prince Henry XXII. of Reuß, Elder Line

1875

Elster Valley Railroad Gera-Greiz-Plauen opens

1922

State Library and Copperplace Collection in the Summer Palais opens; Consolidation of 14 suburbs into the city of Greiz

1924

Opening of the Greiz Summer swimming pool  

1929

Opening of the Museum of Local History in the Lower Palace 

1930

Greiz City Library opens

1952

Greiz becomes county seat in the District of Gera

1975

Establishment of the Caricature collection "Satiricum" in the Summer Palais

1991

Opening of the indoor swimming pool in Greiz-Aubachtal  

1992

Prof. Dr. Ulf Merbold becomes honorary citizen.

Fusion of Greiz‘s symphony orchestra with the Vogtland Orchestra of Reichenbach into the Vogtland Philharmonic Orchestra Greiz-Reichenbach.

The first Greir Theaterherbst takes place

1993

City and County Library moves into the reconstructed former Lyceum

1994

Unification of the counties of Greiz, Zeulenroda und Gera-Land to a new Greiz County (1. July).

"Karikatur, Cartoon & Komische Zeichenkunst" – (Caricatures, Cartoons and Comical Drawing) 1. Triennial (from 1980 to 1990 six Biennials).

Release of the Palace Bridge (1. November)

1995

The author Dr. phil. h.c. Reiner Kunze becomes honorary citizen

1998

Opening of the Studio "Greizer Textile – From Artisanry to Industury" in the Museum of Local History

1999

Greiz gets a modern cinema with "UT99" (9. September).

Opening of the Greiz Palace Gardens  

Opening of the ice skating rink (4. December)

2001

The State Archive of Thuringia opens its doors in the new building on Friedhofstraße.

The solemn opening of the Salon of the Princess Ida, now the locale for the valuable Fraureuther Porcelian collection, in the so-called „Blue Salon“ in the Museum of Local History

Greiz is the 8th stop on the Peace Drive.

2003

The new bus depot opens (3. October).

After restoration, the dressing room of the Princess Ida is open to the public in the Museum of Local History 

Release of the newly-constructed bypass of the "Neustadtring" (New City Ring), on the grounds of the former freight railroad station, bypassing the New City. (27. November).

The new operations building of the Greiz Hospital opens (December).

2004

The first sod is turned in the former Zeddel meadow in Greiz’s Elsterau for the construction of a new apartment building with 12 units. 

The solemn opening of the restored horse stall as a performance space in the Upper Palace

2005

Completion of the open-air bridge in Greiz’s Park. 

A well, 55.4 m deep and closed in 1745, and a medieval heating system discovered in the Upper Palace

2006

The tower in the Upper Palace receives a new roof. 

2007

A Colloquium is held in the Prince’s Hall in the Upper Palace, organized by the Thuringian State Office for Monument Conservation and Archaeology and the City of Greiz on the theme:  „The Upper Palace in Greiz and its high medieval brick construction“. 

The rediscovered Palace well, the renovated Palace tower, and the Prince’s halls are open to the public. 

The bedroom of Princess Ida in the Lower Palace is renovated and incorporated into the rooms of the Museum. 

2008

As a portion of a medieval guided tour, visitors are now able to view the newly-restored two-story celler vault. 

The main staircase in the Lower Palace is solemnly opened. 

The Jubilee beer „Prince’s Gold“ is sold as a regional product

 „Perla“ wins and becomes the Mascot for the 800-Year celebration. 

2009

Greiz celebrates "800-Years Greiz" and, from 19.-21.06.2009, the Twelfth Thuringian Days  "Greiz hat Reiz" (Greiz has Appeal).

 

Seitenanfang