The White Cross

Though called "Sophie's Cross" in the vernacular, most people know it as the "White Cross"; it is located on Hirsch Rock, 375 m above sea level, and thus visible for long distances. 

The ruling Prince Henry XX. of the Reuß Elder Line constructed it in 1838 in memory of his first wife, Princess Sophie von Loewenstein-Wertheim, who died early. 

Although repeatedly destroyed by storms, people always rebuilt it.  Protected since 1952 as an historical monument, today it is a popular tourist attraction, with a wonderful view of the city.

 

Magazine

The tower, built in 1842, served for a few years as a magazine.  It stands 325 m above sea level on the "Roth," and is a poopular scenic lookout.

The Ida-Heights

In 1876, at the suggestion of Prince Henry XXII. Reuß Elder Line, the Greizer Park Director, Rudolf Reinecken transformed the Ida Heights (320 m above sea level) and the nearby valley of the "Eleventh Hour," into a parklike setting, in honor of Princess Ida. 

 

In 1914, the children of the princely couple erected a monument for Henry XXII.  Around 1945, the original plaque was replaced with a stone slab bearing verses by Goethe.

 

Gasparine Temple

Situated 65 m above the valley floor, the Gasparine Temple affords a lovely and unique view of the Upper Palace and Greiz's Old Town

 

The temple was constructed in 1822 upon what was then called the Alexandrinen Hill, on the occasion of the marriage of Prince Henry XIX. Reuß Elder Line with the Princess Gasparine von Rohan-Rochefort.

 

Animal Preserve Waldhaus and Mausoleum

The beauty and silence of the forest stimulated Prince Henry XXII. Reuß Elder Line and he enjoyed being in the middle of the woods, in the vicinity of his beloved hunting lodge.  In 1878 he commissioned the Greizer Agricultural Master Eduard Oberlaender to construct a gothic chapel with a crypt, which was completed in 1883.  In 1902, the Prince was interred there next to his spouse Ida (already buried in 1891); his son Henry XXIV., who died later, was also buried there.     Because of the collapse of the German Empire and later upheavals, the mausoleum deteriorated.  In 1969, the mortal remains were removed to the crematorium in Werdau, and cremated.  The numbered urns with the ashes of the princely family were hurriedly buried in the new Greizer cemetery.  In 1997, the urns were discovered, and found a new resting place in the first level of the City Church St. Marien, next to the splendid casket of Reuß Count Henry VI. 

The mausoleum was restored at great expense in 1994.  The fundamental construction work from the crypt to the roof, also opened up the old portal of the chapel.  When visiting the nearby recreational area of Waldhaus, one can see for themselves the simple elegance of the  building. 

The Animal Preserve of the city of Greiz in Waldhaus is located inside the nature reserve "Greiz-Werdauer Forest". With around 3 ha space, it accommodates numeous, primarily local animal types, including among others, red deer, the dominating species in the surrounding forest.  The animal preserve originated in 1969.  As a component of the nearby recreational area Waldhaus, it has been a popular excursion choice for many year.

 

Seitenanfang