Palace Hill Tunnel

The Elster Valley Railroad and the Palace Hill tunnel were constructed from 1871 to 1875.  Originally, plans were to route the rail line through the princely park, but Prince Henry XXII. rejected the proposal, and approved the construction of the tunnel through the palace hill.

The railroad facilitated a further expansion of trade and industry in Greiz.  The 270 m-long tunnel was completed in 1874. 

On September and October weekends, steam engines run once again, though the last regularly scheduled steam engine ceased in 1975.