The City Church St. Marien

The church was rebuilt in 1805, after the great fire of 1802, which also destroyed its Silbermann organ.  The newly-erected tower was true to the original design, although the roof was not added until 1827.  Powerful Corinthian columns divide the interior of the three-naved church into three levels. 

On the first level, the resplendent casket of Henry VI. recalls Greizer heroes who died fighting the Turks at the Battle of Zenta in 1697. 

A richly decorated classical altar crowns the east side of this former court church.  The church received a Kreutzbach organ in 1881, which was renovated and enlarged in 1919 by the Jehmlich Brothers of Dresden.  It is one of the largest organs in the Thuringian area.

 


Tipp:

Visit the City Church St. Marien while on an organ tour, or take a guided tour of the church when an organ concert is scheduled, on the largest organ in East Thuringia.

Seitenanfang